Founded on the initiative of King D. Manuel to collect Benedictine nuns from rural monasteries, the construction of the Monastery of São Bento da Avé-Maria began in 1518 on a land known as the Bishop's vegetable gardens out of the City.
After the works were concluded, around1527 or 1528, it was only in 1536 that conventual life began with the communities coming from the Monasteries of São Cristóvão de Rio Tinto, Salvador de Tuías, Salvador de Vila Cova das Donas (or Sandim) and Santa Maria de Tarouquela. The first Abbess was D. Maria de Melo, a nun from Arouca and regent of the Monastery of Tarouquela.
In the first half of the 17th century, the monastery building underwent works that included the enlargement of the Church and the choir. New dormitories, the cloister and the Chapter House were built, and the monastery had more than 100 nuns.
The monastery was partially destroyed by a fire. The church, sacristy, upper and lower choirs and cloister were subsequently rebuilt.
The "General Ecclesiastical Reform" determined, through a decree dated May 30, that all convents, monasteries, colleges, hospices and houses of religious of all orders should be extinguished, with those of religious subject to the respective bishops until the death of the last nun, when they would be definitively closed.
Planning began on a new building to house the central station of Porto Railways
On the 17th of May, D. Maria da Glória Dias Guimarães, the last nun of the Royal Monastery of São Bento da Avé-Maria, died.
Beginning of the demolition of the cloisters.
On November 7th, the provisional station was inaugurated, and a special train was organized for the ceremony.
In October 1900, the demolition of the Church begins.
Inauguration of São Bento Station on October 5, 1916.